We are an ‘open’ school who encourages parent participation. We believe that the success of any child’s education is the direct result of a close working relationship between families and school staff. Education is the responsibility of students, parents and teachers. We therefore encourage all families to take an active role in their child’s education.
HOW CAN FAMILIES PARTICIPATE?
– Visit the school during special days/nights eg. Sport Days, Education Week activities, Monday morning assemblies, etc
– Listen to your child read at home and fill in school home reading booklet
– Be aware of your child’s homework and home reading requirements
– Attend Parent Information Sessions
– Read fortnightly newsletters, notes and keep up to date via the school website or Facebook
– Attend official Parent/Teacher Interviews
– Pop in and chat to your child’s teacher, get to know your child’s teacher
– Organise interviews if there are concerns
– When possible, volunteer for working bees, fundraising activities, class reading, excursions, etc
– Be aware of school policies, eg. School Uniform, SunSmart, Code of Conduct Policy etc
– If you have the time, be involved with various committees eg. School Council, Fundraising, etc (See information further on)
– Give the school feedback when necessary
– Talk to your child about school
– Become part of your community’s school
The School Council is a group of elected parent and teacher representatives who are responsible for the overall running of the school. It is responsible for the development of curriculum policies and plans, all financial matters dealing with the running of the school and establishing the School Charter and Code of Conduct. The School Council is also responsible for contractual arrangements in regard to school cleaning, maintenance and the selection of the school principal.
The School Council at Longwood consists of up to ten parent representatives, two Department of Education representatives, one co-opted member and the Principal. Details of School Council elections are sent out in February.
The Principal is the Executive Officer of the School Council and acts on the recommendations made at the monthly meetings. The council meets at 6.00 pm on the second Wednedsday of the month during the school year at the school.
The Parents Club is a group of interested parents who get together to provide assistance and raise funds for the school. All parents are welcome to come along to the meetings and functions. The Parents Club activities are advertised in the school newsletter.
Parents can volunteer to assist in the classroom with reading, on excursions and sleepovers or generally cleaning up and maintaining the school grounds (weeding gardens, mowing etc.). Please let your child’s teacher know when you are available to assist. Your offer will be gratefully appreciated.