At Longwood Primary School we nurture a love of the English language in everything we do. Our students participate in Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops every day commencing from 9am. Both workshops begin with teachers conducting strategic mini lessons that model the daily expected learning intentions and success criteria for all students.
During these sessions students read, write and talk about their reading and writing while being supported by staff through one-to-one reading conferences and small strategic focus groups. With guidance, students set individual goals for learning and monitor their progress. They use Reader’s and Writer’s Notebooks to record their thinking, ideas, understanding and wonderings.
Parents are given the opportunity to participate in learning workshops that provide them with the strategies they need to support English learning at home. They are encouraged to support their child by listening to reading every night.
At Longwood Primary School we ensure all students:
- appreciate, enjoy and use the English language
- learn to listen to, read, view, speak, write, create and reflect on spoken, written and digital texts across a range of contexts
- understand how Australian English works in its spoken and written forms
- develop an informed appreciation of literature
- understand the power Australian English has to evoke feelings, convey information, form ideas, facilitate interaction with others, entertain, persuade and argue